Even though people are moving all the time, when it comes to relocation moving costs is something that causes a lot of stress. The main reason for this is that people are usually not prepared for how much relocation actually costs. Moving estimates are often unclear, many hidden costs pop up, unexpected things happen – so you end up spending a lot more than you expected. However, if you organize your moving budget properly, you will be able to track your moving costs and even save some money. Let’s see what are the main things you should do to control the moving budget and what are the ways to save some money when relocating.
Use a template to track your moving costs
First of all, you need to make a kind of a document that will help you track your moving costs and organize your moving budget properly. Probably the best way to do it is to use Microsoft Excel where you can create a table including all your moving tasks and costs. It can also calculate your costs and you can use it on your laptop and your phone, which is very handy. Of course, doing in on paper is alright, as well.
To make a moving budget table, be sure to include the columns like moving cost type, estimate, real cost, subtotal. Fill in the columns as soon as you have the information on certain costs and review the budget
Consider all the costs to organize your moving budget properly
The most common mistake people make is forgetting some of the moving costs. That’s why they end up unpleasantly surprised after they see how much money they actually spent on moving. Be sure to include all the items in your moving cost template:
- moving fee if you hire professional movers
- additional fees (be sure to ask if there are any!)
- if you move your items by yourself and save money on your Las Vegas relocation, you’ll need to pay for the truck rental and gas, as well as insurance.
- if you need some storage space for the items you can’t move immediately, be sure to add its costs to the budget list
- vehicle transport and your own transport – traveling long-distance often means you need to ship your car and fly to your new home. These are also the moving costs you shouldn’t forget
- packing costs – whether you are using professional packing services or DIY method, include these into your moving budget
- real estate costs – including the costs when you are renting or buying a new home, too. These include repairs, realtor fees, mortgage, deposits, etc.
Cheap is not always right
We know that moving can be expensive, but when it comes to hiring professionals to help you out, it can be even more expensive without you realizing it. That’s why you need to choose a moving company wisely. Remember that it’s not everything about the price – the highest quotes don’t always include the best services. Also, some companies try to attract their customers by offering the lowest prices – often never mentioning the hidden costs. That’s why you should hire someone who offers a good deal for the money – with a clear and precise moving quote. A moving company like Triple 7 Movers Las Vegas will handle your move professionally at affordable price.
Get the precise moving quote
Moving estimate should be the main item on your moving budget list. No matter how far you are moving, even when moving locally in the Las Vegas area – be sure to calculate your moving costs precisely. First of all, be sure to get a free estimate from multiple movers – this way you will be able to compare the offers and get the best option. Next, arrange an on-site estimate and show the moving company representative all your items. Furthermore, mention any special details about your move – tricky stairs, specialty or bulky items, etc. All of these can affect the price so be sure to stay clear and detailed about this. Discuss with the moving representative if it’s necessary to get any additional services and how much they cost. After you have all the details on your moving budget – add these costs to your Excel budget plan.
Be realistic about your moving budget
When you want to create and organize your moving budget properly, it is very important to be realistic. Think about what you can actually afford and choose the moving services according to that information. Luckily, there are movers from Las Vegas that you can afford and that provide highest-quality moving services. You just need to choose wisely and hire the right ones. However, if you are not in the position to pay professionals to do everything for you – don’t worry. You can always ask family or friends to help you, do things by yourself and find other ways to save money while moving.
How to save money when moving
Even though it can be expensive, relocation gives you the opportunity to save some money, too. Here are some money saving tips that can help you organize your moving budget properly and spend fewer dollars.
- negotiate with the mover and get the best deal for the money
- to avoid moving season when choosing the moving date
- find free packing supplies, especially moving boxes – try local furniture stores, supermarkets or liquor stores. Just be sure to find sturdy boxes that are in good condition
- sell some of the things you don’t need – you can both earn some money and reduce the moving costs
- ask your friends and family to help you
In the end…
It’s all about the organization. When you want to organize your moving budget properly the key is to plan and be aware of everything. Even though it may sound tiring, it is important to think about all the details of your move if you want to avoid unnecessary, over-the-top moving costs. naturally, the whole moving process is difficult to handle sometimes, but if you have the right strategy, it can be pretty smooth.